Perpetuating Good, That Lats, in the Community That I am Apart Of (Thanks, HPU)

This is my personal statement that I wrote to HPU. I'm actually proud of this piece. I really put my heart into it.




I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, courageous and strong, responsible for what I say and do, respect myself and others, use resources wisely, make the world a better place, and be a sister to every girl scout. Since the first time I recited the Girl Scout Law I’ve made it my goal to live by these morals. As a young girl the words really stuck with me. I thought, “Why can’t we all live by this?” I felt as though I had a valuable secret and I wanted to share it. Right around the age I started Girl Scouts I took my first trip to Sea World San Diego. This was another life changing experience for me. I vividly remember walking through the shark tunnel fascinated by these alien creatures dancing in the waters above me. I looked up at my Dad, pointing at a scuba diver cleaning algae off the walls, and said, “ I’m going to do that one day.” My Dad replied with a warm smile, “You can do anything you set your mind to, all it takes is hard work.”
            I took my new found morals and love for the ocean and I immersed myself in books and documentaries. As I got older I got into extra curricular classes at local zoos and aquariums. I volunteered at animal shelters, aquariums, and educational events for girl scouts. In High School I was accepted, after a rigorous application process, to NOAA’s first Ocean for Life Program. This program’s main goal is to connect cultures from around the world through intense engagement of the studies of oceanic sciences. I was appointed President of my schools Environmental Club. I applied for and received a $5,500 Ocean Guardian School grant from NOAA. I created a program that included five conservation projects as well as two media projects for my students in the club. After High School I continued my studies at Oxnard College and became an Aquarist for the Oxnard College Marine Center and Aquarium by the age of 18. I am dedicated to this field and will go on to study sharks with a focus on conservation. It would be an honor if I could continue my quest at Hawaii Pacific University. I know I will bring culture, passion, and positive morale to not only the campus but the community of Oahu as well. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to miss you too while you're in Hawaii!! I love everything about your blog! You're an incredible person and I know you will do great things while you're at HPU!! =] and yes we need to hangout before you leave!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Important People...just three? That's not fair.

The next best thing to diving with the Great Whites...

Don't Hate, Appreciate