Not So REALity TV

     Reality television is anything but reality. I actually know someone who was on a reality dating show, called Fifth Wheel I believe. She informed me that the “Diary Cams” are scripted as well as the arguments and most of the dialogue. A lot of these reality shows use the same actors for different shows. Take Joe from show A, cut his hair and change his accent, and you now have Justin for show B! You can’t call that reality…
     I’ve never been a fan of reality television, if you couldn’t tell by my previous paragraph. I am much more of a documentary type. I will pick National Geographic over MTV any day. Documentaries are the closest you’ll get to reality television. Don’t get me wrong, I have seen a fair share of “documentaries” that are just as real as America’s oh so popular “reality television”. Adversely, I realize not every single reality television show is overwhelmed with crying and screaming. Some may even pose as a somewhat educational source, one being The Amazing Race, although that to has its drama between the teams.
     I feel like most people view reality television because, for reasons that I have yet to fully understand, they seem to feel better about their life when watching others fall apart. Maybe it is a way to escape their own reality and dive into another. I am not completely sure. I feel like everyone should worry about his or her own life, there is no need to speculate others to that extent. The drama and the yelling is just too much for me. I think our country would be better off without it.
     A lot of other countries monitor the amount of non-educational television to educational programming. I better be careful, I’m walking into the First Amendment death trap here. But studies show high brain activity with educational television as opposed to sitcoms and reality television shows. Now I do love my silly sitcoms and fictional movies, but for some reasons, on average, those scripts seem to have more “meat on their bones”. Can you imagine how more intellectually evolved we would be if we paid more attention to new arts or sciences rather than focusing on mind melting reality television. I just can’t see watching people throw alcohol in each other faces or throw fits on a daily basis.




        These are just my thoughts on the subject. Not meant to insult anyone,
        by any means. I happily welcome counter arguments and differences of opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Important People...just three? That's not fair.

The next best thing to diving with the Great Whites...

Don't Hate, Appreciate