To Feast or Not to Feast?..on Grease?


Growing up fast food was definitely a treat for me. MyGrandma, who lived with us, was diabetic so the majority of the food our familyate was healthy. Even our desserts were things like fresh fruits or sorbets;you know, the types of foods adults trick kids into thinking are just as goodas gooey chocolate chip cookies. I had to work for a guilty treat. Before Istarted preschool I would earn my treats by reading new books (I loved EdgarAllen Poe) and giving reports on them to my family and doing chores around thehouse. When I was old enough for school I would do home book reports, chores,and I had to A’s and B’s in my assignments. If I were to choose a fast foodrestaurant I would almost always pick McDonalds. I would order the chickenmcnugget kids meal. Although even when I earned a type of special treat I wouldask for vegetables. I preferred vegetables to sweets as a child. I attribute itto the fact that I grew up eating healthy food. I would request carrots andcelery instead of McDonalds or chocolate. 
           Things aren’t much different now. Of course I don’t haveto “earn” my treats, but I still rarely choose fast food. Sometimes it’sdifficult avoiding fast food especially at 3am on a road trip when your stomachis grumbly. Even in town, if you are rushing to work or school and you arestarving, it is definitely more convenient to just go for some fast food. Thatis the problem with these fast food franchises, it is so convenient to drive byand pick up a hot meal. I actually started eating more fast food in my highschool year for that reason. After high school I traveled to Europe where Iwent a month with out and fast food or greasy meals. Coming back to the statesall I could think about was getting a huge salad and thick juicy burger, sadlyI soon found out that I now become physically ill after consuming greasy food.I believe that since I spent such a long period without the grease that my bodyis now shocked when I for artery clogging goop on it. I try to avoid fast foodas a result of this. It is a blessing in disguise, really. I actually like theflavor of certain fast food meals, but I really have to be in the mood for it to cave into the craving. I won’t eat fast food more than a couple times amonth. If I eat out I will go to places where I know I will be able to findfresh healthy choices.

Comments

  1. It is imposible reading your blog without post a comment! It is so interesting what you write. First of all, I share with you the feeling of having my mom as a best friend, but I found out it when I was 30! Second, once, when I was much younger, I went to dive in Mexico (Veracruz) without any experience! A friend of mine invited me. It was an unique and incredible experience. But, you know, after that, when I was on land, I thought, what would have happened if it had showed up a shark? I panicked! Third, I congratulate you on your desire to get involved in so many things and do them at heart and so well. I will continue reading you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear you are making healthy food choices :)I too try to find the healthiest meal on a menu when I go out and eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's not always as easy as it should be to find healthy food!

      Delete
  3. It is good that ever since you were a child you have been eating healthy, keep up with the healthy eating! I have got to say I love reading your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its very funny to read that most people have there childhood memories with McDonald's than any other restaurant, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you were brought up, it is interesting to see that that there is families that still care about feeding their kids healthy food. I wish I become a healthy and concern mom, and I am not dragged by the rushed way of life we have in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll do great. Once you take fast food out of your daily/weekly routine it gets easy to escape the grips of the greasy ghoul.

      Delete
  6. That was really smart of your parents to feed you healthy food when you were little.But your right about sometimes you cant help it when your driving long distance and start getting so hungry. With so many big sings advertising fast food how could you not stop in tha situation.Nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You're like the first person i've ever known being raised that way. Since I now have a dughter of my own I would totally love to follow the way u were raised. I totally agree with you on being out so late and pretty much having no other choice but to eat fast food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I highly suggest it, I'm very grateful for my family raising me this way.

      Delete
  8. It is such a hard thing to raise children without punishing or rewarding them with food. (With my parents, it was always "No dessert if you don't do this or that")..
    But it's good to see that future generations are (slowly but surely) realizing that placing such significance on food coupled with behavior is really doing more harm than good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a nerd so I would rather go without dinner than my books or puzzles. I agree there is an alarming amount of significance placed on food. It's something that can be changed, though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Important People...just three? That's not fair.

The next best thing to diving with the Great Whites...

Don't Hate, Appreciate